Cornrows are a great protective hairstyle that requires minimal maintenance. To ensure that your cornrows last longer, there are a few tips and tricks you can follow. Here are some tips and tricks on how to maintain cornrows to last longer:
Keeping your hair hydrated is one of the most critical aspects of maintaining cornrows. Cornrows that are properly moisturized will protect your hair and last longer. Here are some recommendations for conditioning your hair before braiding it into cornrows:
- Use a spray bottle with water: Before braiding your hair, use a spray bottle filled with water to hydrate your scalp and prevent dry flakes. The water keeps your scalp hydrated, which helps to avoid dryness and dandruff.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner: After hydrating your hair with water, apply a leave-in conditioner to help it retain moisture. Leave-in conditioners are excellent for adding moisture to your hair and keeping it from drying out.
- Avoid using grease or heavy creams: Avoid using grease, or heavy creams on your scalp when moisturizing your hair: When moisturizing your hair, avoid using grease or heavy creams on your scalp. These creams might attract dirt and irritate your scalp. To hydrate your hair, use light, natural oils like coconut oil or almond oil.
- Use moisturizing products: To keep your hair hydrated, use moisturizing products such as hair oils or hair butters. These items can be used to seal in moisture and can be applied to the hair before braiding.
You may ensure that your hair is thoroughly hydrated before braiding it into cornrows by following these recommendations. This will assist to protect your hair and extend the life of your cornrows. Remember to stick to a moisturizing schedule and use products that are appropriate for your hair type and texture.
Oil your hair
Oiling your hair to seal in moisture is another key step in maintaining cornrows. Oiling your hair will assist your braids to retain their sheen and appearance. Here are some techniques for oiling your hair to keep your cornrows in place:
- Light natural oils like coconut oil or almond oil can be used to seal in moisture. These oils are lightweight and will not weigh down your hair, making them ideal for keeping cornrows in place.
- When applying the oil, use a light hand and put it between the lines as well as a bit on the braid itself. This ensures that the oil is uniformly dispersed and does not leave your hair greasy.
- Avoid using mineral oil to moisturize your braids because it can dry out your hair and cause itching. Mineral oil is a common ingredient in many hair care products, so make sure to read the labels before using them.
- Make your own sheen spray: In a spray bottle, combine water and coconut oil to make your own sheen spray. This is an excellent method for adding shine to your hair without the use of heavy treatments.
By following these methods, you can maintain your cornrows by keeping your hair oiled and hydrated. Remember to stick to your oiling routine and use products that are appropriate for your hair type and texture. Oiling your hair will maintain it healthy and beautiful, as well as help your cornrows last longer.
RELATED: 10 Easy Ways To Repair Damaged Hair
Protect your hair while sleeping
It is critical to protect your hair while sleeping in order to maintain your cornrows in place. Sleeping with unprotected hair can cause it to dry out, become frizzy, and lose its shine. Here are some methods for maintaining your cornrows while sleeping:
- Use a satin bonnet or pillowcase to stop your hair from drying out and becoming frizzy. Unlike cotton, which absorbs moisture and causes frizz, satin is a silky fabric that will not generate friction on your hair.
- Braid your hair: Braiding your hair before going to bed can help protect it. This will hold your hair in place and prevents it from tangling.
- Avoid sleeping on cotton or wool pillowcases since they absorb moisture from your hair and cause it to dry out.
- Avoid sleeping with your hair tied back: Sleeping with your hair tied back can generate tension on your hair, which can lead to breaking.
By following these tips, you can protect your hair while sleeping and keep your cornrows in place. Remember to stick to your hair protection routine and use products that are appropriate for your hair type and texture. Protecting your hair while you sleep will assist to keep it healthy and shiny, as well as make your cornrows last longer.
Clean your hair
Keeping your hair clean is crucial for maintaining cornrows. Regular hair washing will maintain your hair and scalp healthy by preventing build-up and itching. Here are some suggestions for keeping your hair clean when wearing cornrows:
- Wash your hair every two weeks: Washing your hair every two weeks is critical for preventing buildup and itching. This is particularly crucial if you work or exercise in a dusty environment.
- Use a mild shampoo: Use a gentle shampoo that is free of harsh chemicals while washing your hair. This will aid in the health of your hair and scalp.
- Heavy conditioners should be avoided because they might weigh down your hair and make it oily. To hydrate your hair, apply a lightweight leave-in conditioner or hair oil.
- Be delicate while washing your hair: Be gentle when washing your hair to avoid damaging it or unraveling your cornrows.
- Dry your hair gently: After washing it, gently pat it dry with a microfibre towel. Avoid touching your hair as this can harm it.
By following these methods, you can keep your hair clean and healthy while maintaining your cornrows. Remember to stick to your hair washing schedule and use products that are appropriate for your hair type and texture. Keeping your hair clean will assist to keep it healthy and beautiful, as well as make your cornrows last longer.
Don’t Wear Cornrows For Too Long
While cornrows are an excellent protective style that can last for weeks to months, they should not be worn for too long. Wearing cornrows for an extended period of time can cause hair breakage and damage. Here are some pointers to help you avoid wearing cornrows for too long:
- Time limit: Depending on how well you care for your hair, you can wear your cornrows for up to two months, but you must take special care of them. It’s essential to set a time limit for wearing your cornrows and stick to it.
- Keep an eye on the health of your hair: While wearing cornrows, keep an eye on the health of your hair. It’s essential to remove your cornrows if you discover any symptoms of breaking or damage.
- Wearing cornrows for too long can cause breakage depending on your sleeping habits. If you’re having difficulties keeping your cornrows in place, it could be a good idea to remove them sooner rather than later.
- Keep your hair length: If you want to keep the length you gain from wearing the protective style, make sure to take it down on time.
- Consult a hairstylist: For advice on how long to wear your cornrows, consult a hairstylist or a hair care professional. They will be able to provide you with personalized advice based on the kind and texture of your hair.
Donation for Author
Buy author a coffee